Thank you for your interest in Kokandy Productions' New Works Initiative. Previously seen as our New Musical Staged Reading Series, the Initiative will be shifting to a more broadly focused developmental structure that will allow for greater momentum in the production of new works; this will include private and public readings, workshops, cabarets of new composers, and full productions. Our most recent production of Michael Potsic's Flight at the Chicago Musical Theatre Festival garnered high praise from Chicago Critic, which highly recommended Flight, calling it "a brilliant use of mythology, and a superb example of how to maximize the potential of a chamber musical."
We accept submissions from literary agents and theatre professionals, as well as unrepresented writers. If you would like to submit your musical for consideration, please submit materials as listed below to: email@example.com
Please note: incomplete submissions will not be read.
We encourage electronic submission if at all possible, but will accept hard copies at the address below. Hard copy submissions will not be returned.
815 Neufairfield Drive
Joliet, IL 60432
The following materials are required as electronic files for consideration:
- A 2-3 page synopsis, noting the placement of songs included on the demo recording (PDF)
- A script sample consisting of 15 consecutive pages representing the heart of the show and including lyrics for at least one song from the demo (PDF)
- A demo recording, containing at least 75% of the songs in the show (MP3 only)
- If applicable: Proof of rights to adapt any underlying material (e.g. the movie on which your show is based) or to include any material by other authors (e.g. songs by third-party artists), if any such material is not in the public domain (PDF)
- If you are submitting a show by someone other than yourself, you must also submit documentation signed by the writers, giving you the rights to produce/submit the show (PDF)
- Playwright/Composer bios and Production History (include readings, workshops, productions) (PDF)
- Brief (1/2 page) description of what you hope for as the next developmental step for your piece - cabaret of songs, private reading, public reading, workshop, etc. (PDF)